HistoryBackground to the Trust
In 1939 W.K. (Ken) Norman purchased a small grocery shop on Budleigh High Street called Hoopers. At first there was steady trade to local residents which then, after the war, increased to include the catering trade from hotels in East Devon.
By 1957 the grocery business had expanded enough to need bigger premises and Hoopers was sold. Norman’s (Budleigh) Ltd was formed and located on East Budleigh Road. From approximately 1960 this developed into the first ‘Cash and Carry’ in the South West and the business rapidly grew again. A new location in Station Yard, Budleigh followed, and from 1971 new sites were opened – Launceston, Tiverton, Bideford, Crewkerne, Taunton, Camborne, Warminster and lastly at Trago Mills near Newton Abbot.
Over the years the whole family had been involved – Ken’s wife Pat, their son Philip (a Chartered Accountant), and Ken’s two sisters, all had various roles in the business.
Expansion from groceries into other trades such as furniture, homewares and gardening also took place.
By 1979 due to the size of the business and approaching retirement of Ken and Pat, Norman’s Cash and Carrys were sold to Singlo Holdings Ltd (who continued to open further branches). Only Philip remained involved with the business, for a short time.
Using some of the proceeds from the sale of the business the family set up and became Trustees of the Norman Family Charitable Trust in 1979. The aim was to help worthy causes in the South West with the intention of repaying loyal customers who had helped make the business a success. Since then around £9 million has been given away through almost 10,000 grants.
The map below shows the locations of the 7 Normans stores as at the date of sale in 1979.